The George and Jean Fries Research Award
Background: Dr. George Fries found his way to his chosen career path through opportunities working in a research laboratory while an undergraduate in WSU’s Department of Animal Sciences. Years later after retirement, he and his wife Jean have created an endowment to pay it back. Through the Fries generosity, students have had the opportunity to travel to professional meetings to present their research and have begun professional networks, the Fries Travel Award. Recently the Fries have added a second component, the Fries Research Award. This award will enable interested Animal Sciences undergraduates to have financial resources available to conduct the research as well.
- Declared Animal Science major with a minimum of sophomore standing in Spring of 2019
- MUST commit to presentation at SURCA in spring of 2020
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Must have identified an Animal Sciences faculty mentor
- Preference will be given to students with an interest in research as a career
- Award winners will be encouraged to apply for a Fries Travel Award to present the work at a national conference as well
Procedure: Please fill out the application form completely, attach a resume and submit it on line (hard copies will not be accepted). After you have completed the process, your mentor will be asked to fill out a few questions as well. A committee of faculty who do not have applications in the pool will rank the applications and recommend awards.
Deadline: The deadline is March 18, 2019.