Animal Scientist and Extension Meats Specialist
Ph.D., Michigan State University
Office: Clark Hall 126
Phone: (509) 335-2880
MEAT SCIENCE. Our overall goal is to identify economically, environmentally and socially sustainable pre- and post-harvest production systems that optimize the level of biologically active compounds (such as CLA and omega 3 fatty acids) in meat without detrimentally affecting storage stability and palatability. Variables we have studied or plan to evaluate are:
- Genetic impacts and their interaction with pre- and post harvest production practices
- Pasture finishing systems (for example forage type, seasonality, plane of nutrition during backgrounding and finishing)
- Post mortem treatments such as aging conditions and length
- Alternative feeds such as by-products of the biofuel and human food industries
Specific Research Areas:
- Effects of various feeding/management systems on quality, nutrients and palatability of meats and poultry.
- Identify post-harvest practices that combined with acceptable pre-harvest practices result in consistently acceptable flavor and tenderness of beef, pork, lamb, goat and poultry meat.
- Jiang, T, C. J. Mueller, J. R. Busboom, M. L. Nelson, J. O’Fallon, and G. Tschida. 2013. Fatty acid composition of Jersey beef was affected by finishing diet and tissue type. Meat Sci. 93:153-161. 10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.08.013.
- B.S. Buttar , M.L. Nelson , J.R. Busboom , D.D. Hancock, D.B. Walsh, D. P. Jasmer. 2013. Research Brief: Effect of heat treatment on viability of Taeniahydatigena eggs.Experimental Parasitology. 133:421-426. DOI: 10.1016/j.exppara.2013.01.004.
- B.S. Buttar, M.L. Nelson, J.R. Busboom, D.D. Hancock, D.B. Walsh and D.P. Jasmer. 2013. Research Brief: Effect of ensilation of potato on viability of Taenia hydatigena eggs. Experimental Parasitology. 133:483-486. DOI: 10.1016/j.exppara.2013.01.003.
- Duarte, M.S, M.P.Gionbelli, P.V.R. Paulino, N.V.L. Serão, L.H.P. Silva, R. Mezzomo, M.V. Dodson, M. Du, J.R. Busboom, S.E.F. Guimarães, S.C. Valadares Filho. 2013. Effects of pregnancy and feeding level on carcass and meat quality traits of Nellore cows. Meat Sci. 94:139-144.
- Zhang, L., J. J. Michal, J. V. O’Fallon, Z. Pan, C. T. Gaskins, J. J. Reeves, J. R. Busboom, B. Ding, M. V. Dodson, and Z. Jiang. 2012. Quantitative genomics of 30 complex phenotypes in Wagyu x Angus F1 progeny. International J. Biol Sci. 8:838-857.
- Jiang, T., J. R. Busboom, M. L. Nelson, and R. Mengarelli. 2011. Omega-3 fatty acids affected human perception of ground beef negatively. Meat Sci. 89:390-399. doi:10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.04.026.
- Jiang, T., J. R. Busboom, M. L. Nelson, J. O’Fallon, T. P. Ringkob, D. Joos, and K. Piper. 2010. Effect of sampling fat location and cooking on fatty acid composition of beef steaks. Meat Science 84:86-92.
- Jiang, T., J. R. Busboom, M. L. Nelson, J. O’Fallon, T. P. Ringkob, K. R. Rogers-Klette, D. Joos, and K. Piper. 2010. The influence of forage diets and aging on beef palatability. Meat Science 86:642-650.
- O’Fallon, J. V., J. R. Busboom, M. L. Nelson, and C. T. Gaskins. 2007. A direct method of fatty acid methyl ester (FAME) synthesis: Application to wet meat tissues, oils and feedstuffs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1511-1521.
- Chapalamadugu KC, Busboom JR, Nelson ML, Hancock DD, Tang J, Jasmer DP. 2007-2008. Taenia taeniaeformis: Effectiveness of staining oncospheres is related to both temperature of treatment and molecular weight of dyes utilized. Vet. Parasitol. 2007 Oct 26 Epub ahead of print PMID: 18063313, Vet. Parasitol. 151 (2008) 203-21.
- Xiao, Q., X. L. Wu, J. J. Michal, J. J. Reeves, J. R. Busboom, G. H. Thorgaard, & Z. Jiang. 2006. A novel nuclear-encoded mitochondrial poly(A) polymerase PAPD1 is a potential candidate gene for the extreme obesity related phenotypes in mammals. Int. J. Biol. Sci. 2, 171-178.
- Purchas, R. W., and J. R. Busboom. 2005 The effect of production system and age on levels of iron, taurine, carnosine, coenzyme Q10, and creatine in beef muscles and liver. Meat Sci. 70(4):589-596.
- Purchas, R. W., T. W. Knight, and J. R. Busboom. 2005. The effect of production system and age on concentrations of fatty acids in intramuscular fat of the longissimus and triceps brachii muscles of Angus-cross heifers. Meat Science. 70(4):597-603.
- Kuber, P. S., J. R. Busboom, E. Huff-Lonergan, et al. 2004. Effects of biological type and dietary fat treatment on factors associated with tenderness: I. Measurements on beef longissimus muscle. J. Anim Sci. 82:770-778.
- Kuber, P. S., J. R. Busboom, et al. 2004. Effects of biological type and dietary fat treatment on factors associated with tenderness: II. Measurements on beef semitendinosus muscle. J. Anim Sci. 82:779-784.
- Mir, P., Z. Mir, P. Kuber, C. Gaskins, E. Martin, M. Dodson, J. Elias Calles, K. Johnson, J. Busboom, et al. 2002. Growth, carcass characteristics, muscle CLA content, and response to intravenous glucose challenge in high percentage Wagyu, Wagyu x Limousin, and Limousin steers fed sunflower oil-containing diets. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2996-3004.
- Kuber, P., S. Duckett, J. Busboom, G. Snowder, et al. 2002. Measuring effects of phenotype and mechanical restraint on proteolytic degradation and rigor shortening in callipyge lamb longissimus muscle during extended aging. Meat Sci. 63:325-331.
- Elias-Calles, A., C. T. Gaskins, J. R. Busboom, S. K. Duckett, J. D. Cronrath, and J. J. Reeves. 2000. Sire variation in fatty acid composition of crossbred Wagyu steers and heifers. Meat Sci. 56:23-29.
- Busboom, J. R., M. L. Nelson, L. E. Jeremiah, S. K. Duckett, J. D. Cronrath, L. Falen, and P. Kuber. 2000. Effects of graded levels of potato by-products in barley- and corn-based beef feedlot diets: II. Palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1837-1844.
- Busboom, J., T. Wahl and G. Snowder. 1999. Economics of callipyge lamb production. J. Anim. Sci. 77:(Suppl. 2):243-248.