Animal Scientist and Extension Specialist
DAIRY NUTRITION WITH EMPHASIS ON WHOLE FARM NUTRIENT MANAGEMENT AND FORAGES.
Specific Research Areas:
- Decision-aid tools for Feed Management and Adoption of Anaerobic Digester Technology
- Determination of nutrient management factors limiting profitability and impacting the environment
- Characterization of the role of potassium carbonate on milk fatty composition
- Evaluation of the amino acid requirements of primiparous and multiparous cows in early lactation for enhanced profitability and reduced environmental impact.
- Evaluation of crop rotations for profitability and environmental stewardship.
- Characterization of nutrient management of high producing herds
Specific Outreach Efforts:
- Livestock Nutrient Management (http://puyallup.wsu.edu/dairy/nutrient-management/default.html)
- Washington State Dairy Newsletter
- Climate Change and Animal Agriculture (animalagclimatechange.org)
- Western Dairy Management Conference (wdmc.org)
- Saunders, O.E., Fortuna, A., Harrison, J.H., Cogger, C.G., Whitefield, E.M., Kennedy, A.C., & Bary, A.I. 2012. Comparison of raw dairy manure slurry and anaerobically digested slurry as N sources for grass forage production. International Journal of Agronomy.
- Saunders, O.E., Fortuna, A., Cogger, C.G., Harrison, J.H., Whitefield, E.M., & Green, T. (2012). Use of manure management technology and microbial processes to mitigate gaseous nitrogen losses from soil. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Harrison, J.H., White, R., Ishler, G., Erickson, G., Sutton, A., Applegate, T., Richert, B., Nennich, T., Koeslch, R., Burns, R., Meyer, D., Massey, R., & Carpenter, G. (2012). Implementation of feed management as part of whole farm nutrient management. The Professional Animal Scientist. 28 (2012):364–369.
- Harrison, J.H., White, R., Kincaid, R.L., Block, E., Jenkins, T., & St Pierre, N. (2012). Effectiveness of potassium carbonate sesquihydrate to increase dietary cation-anion. Journal of Dairy Science. 95, 3919-3925.
- Jarrett, J., Taylor, M.S., Nennich, T., Knowlton, K., Harrison, J.H., & Block, E. (2012). Effect of stage of lactation and dietary calcium on potassium balance in lactating Holstein cows through twenty weeks of lactation. The Professional Animal Scientist 28, 502-506.
- Saunders, O., Harrison, J.H., Fortuna, A., Whitefield, E.M., & Bary, A.I. 2011. Effect of Anaerobic Digestion and Application Method on the Presence and Survivability of E. coli and Fecal Coliforms in Dairy Waste Applied to Soil. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution. 223 (3):1055-1063.
- Nennich, T.D., J.H. Harrison, L.M. VanWieringen, N.R. St-Pierre, R.L. Kincaid, M.A. Wattiaux, D.L. Davidson, and E. Block. 2006. Prediction and evaluation of urine and urinary nitrogen and mineral excretion from dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 89:353-364.
- Nennich, T.D., J.H. Harrison, L.M. VanWieringen, D. Meyer, A.J. Heinrichs, W.P. Weiss, N.R. St-Pierre, R.L. Kincaid, D. Davidson, and E. Block. 2005. Prediction of manure and nutrient excretion of dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 88:3721-3733.