Professor of Comparative Genomics
Office: VBRB 151
COMPARATIVE GENOME BIOLOGY. Phenomes, including economically important traits in livestock species and health/disease phenotypes in model organisms are complex, dynamic and elusive in nature. No doubt, understanding the genetic “bridges” between an organism’s genome and phenome remains challenging even in the post-genome sequencing era. In vertebrates, up to 75% of genes use alternative promoters, isoforms or polyadenylation sites, contributing greatly to transcriptome flexibility, diversity and dynamics. Therefore, our current research focuses on how an alternative transcriptome drives information flows from genome to phenome. Understanding the genome-phenome relationship via alternative transcriptome will provide a foundation to maximize genome potentials benefiting the current generation, while designing de novo genomes for future generations, thus solving unmet needs in food security, environmental challenges and human health.
Specific Research Areas:
- Bulk and single cell analyses of alternative transcriptomes.
- Genome-to-phenome bridge mapping of complex phenotypes.
- Functional annotation of animal genomes.
Most Recent Publications:
For a complete list of publications, please visit https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Zhihua_Jiang4/
- He S, Zhang Z, Sun Y, Ren T, Li W, Zhou X, Michal JJ, Jiang Z, Liu M. 2020. Genome-wide association study shows that microtia in Altay sheep is caused by a 76 bp duplication of HMX1. Anim Genet. 51(1):132-136.
- Son JS, Zhao L, Chen Y, Chen K, Chae SA, de Avila JM, Wang H, Zhu MJ, Jiang Z, Du M. 2020. Maternal exercise via exerkine apelin enhances brown adipogenesis and prevents metabolic dysfunction in offspring mice. Sci Adv. 6(16):eaaz0359.
- Wang CD, Qi XF, Zhou X, Sun JM, Cai DQ, Lu G, Chen XF, Jiang Z, Yao YG, Chan WY, Zhao H. 2020. RNA-Seq analysis on ets1 mutant embryos of Xenopus tropicalis identifies microseminoprotein beta gene 3 as an essential regulator of neural crest migration. FASEB J. DOI:1096/fj.202000603R. Online ahead of print.
- Menčik S, Vuković V, Jiang Z, Ostović M, Sušić V, Žura Žaja I, Samardžija M, Ekert Kabalin A. Effect of RNF4-SacII gene polymorphism on reproductive traits of Landrace × Large White crossbred sows. Reprod Domest Anim. doi: 10.1111/rda.13703. Online ahead of print.
- Wang WJ, Fu M, Zhang QD, Zhen YR, Liu JJ, Xiang SN, Michal JJ, Jiang Z, Zhou X, Liu B. 2020. A novel quantitative real-time PCR method for the detection of mammalian and poultry species based on a shared single-copy nuclear DNA sequence. Food Chem. (In press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128170.
- Gu H, Zhu T, Li X, Chen Y, Wang L, Lv X, Yang W, Jia Y, Jiang Z, Qu L. 2020. A joint analysis reveals genetic changes associated with artificial selection between egg-type and meat-type ducks. Anim Genet. (Accepted).
- Zinski AL, Carrion S, Michal JJ, Gartstein MA, Quock RM, Davis JF, Jiang Z. 2020. Genome-to-phenome research in rats: progresses and perspectives. Int J Biol Sci. (Accepted).