Professor of Comparative Genomics
Office: VBRB 151
COMPARATIVE RNA BIOLOGY Transcriptome analysis is fundamental to understanding the biochemical, cellular, physiological and environmental systems involved in the complex phenotypes that affect development, growth, reproduction and well-being in human and animals. In mammals, up to 75% of genes use alternative promoters, isoforms or polyadenylation sites, contributing greatly to transcriptome flexibility, diversity and dynamics. The long-term goal of our Comparative RNA Biology program is to create state-of-the-art tools for profiling the full transcriptome that will advance the field of functional genomics and increase its applicability to solve unmet problems in human health and animal productivity. We believe that accurate profiling of transcript variants will promote the discovery of genetic mutations that underlie complex phenotypes, aid in the selection of regulatory switch units for functional characterization, and discover alternative variants that can be used for disease diagnosis and drug discovery in humans and for biomarker selection in animals.
Specific Research Areas:
- Development of next-generation sequencing tools for profiling of alternative transcripts.
- Development of alternative transcript resources in animals and model organisms.
- Development of animal models to understand alternative transcripts and multi-functions of genes.
Most Recent Publications:
For a complete list of publications, please visit https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Zhihua_Jiang4/
- Zhou X, Zhang Y, Michal JJ, Qu L, Zhang S, Wildung MR, Du W, Pouchnik DJ, Zhao H, Xia Y, Shi H, Ji G, Davis JF, Smith GD, Griswold MD, Harland RM, Jiang Z. Alternative polyadenylation coordinates embryonic development, sexual dimorphism and longitudinal growth in Xenopus tropicalis. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2019;76(11):2185-2198.
- Zhu S, Wu X, Fu H, Ye C, Chen M, Jiang Z, Ji G. Modeling of genome-wide polyadenylation signals in Xenopus Tropicalis. Genet. 2019;10:647.
- Gu H, Qi X, Jia Y, Zhang Z, Nie C, Li X, Li J, Jiang Z, Wang Q, Qu L. Inheritance patterns of the transcriptome in hybrid chickens and their parents revealed by expression analysis. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):5750.
- Wang W, Zhang X, Zhou X, Zhang Y, La Y, Zhang Y, Li C, Zhao Y, Li F, Liu B, Jiang Z. Deep genome resequencing reveals artificial and natural selection for visual deterioration, plateau adaptability and high prolificacy in Chinese domestic sheep. Front Genet. 2019;10:300.
- Jiang Z. RNA and the key to the diversity of life. Scientia (https://doi.org/10.26320/SCIENTIA312).
- Zhang Y, Carrion SA, Zhang Y, Zhang X, Zinski AL, Michal JJ, Jiang Z. Alternative polyadenylation analysis in animals and plants: newly developed strategies for profiling, processing and validation. Int J Biol Sci. 2018;14(12):1709-1714.
- Zhu J, Huang X, Jiang H, Hu L, Michal JJ, Jiang Z, Shi H. The role of pparγ in embryonic development of Xenopus tropicalis under triphenyltin-induced teratogenicity. Sci Total Environ. 2018;633:1245-1252.
- Zhang S, Zhang Y, Zhou X, Fu X, Michal JJ, Ji G, Du M, Davis JF, Jiang Z. Alternative polyadenylation drives genome-to-phenome information detours in the AMPKα1 and AMPKα2 knockout mice. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):6462.
- Zhang Z, Jia Y, Almeida P, Mank JE, van Tuinen M, Wang Q, Jiang Z, Chen Y, Zhan K, Hou S, Zhou Z, Li H, Yang F, He Y, Ning Z, Yang N, Qu L. Whole-genome resequencing reveals signatures of selection and timing of duck domestication. Gigascience. 2018;7(4).
- Brutman JN, Zhou X, Zhang Y, Michal J, Stark B, Jiang Z, Davis JF. Mapping diet-induced alternative polyadenylation of hypothalamic transcripts in the obese rat. Physiol Behav. 2018;188:173-180.