The Inside Scoop 2022
The Inside Scoop is published annually by Washington State University Department of Animal Sciences to enhance communication with alumni and friends.
Executive Editor: Gordon Murdoch
Writer, Designer, Photographer: Jennifer Michal
In this issue
- Notes from the Chair What a pleasure to be returning to somewhat normal, following an extended pandemic that has impacted our research, teaching and Extension in the Department of Animal Sciences.
- Jerry Reeves: Distinguished Service Award 2022 Dr. Jerry Reeves grew up in western Oregon where his family earned their living logging and ranching.
- Undergraduates Learn By Doing Landing a coveted internship usually takes more effort than just showing up for an interview.
- Shannon Neibergs: Outstanding Alumnus Each year, the Department of Animal Sciences seeks to honor an alumnus who has been successful in his or her career, has actively served the public, and has contributed substantially to the livestock industry.
- John Finley: Distinguished Graduate in Science, Education, & Technology 2022 Dr. John Finley is a respected graduate of the department of animal sciences who has contributed to the fields of animal and human nutrition and human health through research, leadership, program design, and implementation.
- Aquaculture is Agriculture: Phelps Lab Uses Cutting-Edge Science Techniques to Improve Profitability and Sustainability Marine and freshwater aquaculture production in the United States was valued at more than $1.5 billion in 2018 according to the Census of Aquaculture published by the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service.
- Outstanding Undergraduate Students Natalie Hayes Outstanding Senior & Aggie of the Year Nominee; Jaiden Mahoney Outstanding Junior in Agricultural Sciences Nominee; Joseph Koenig Emerging Undergraduate Leader in Agricultural Sciences Nominee
- WSU Animal Sciences Graduate Students Read about graduate student research interests, visiting Brazilian scholars, Char-cougar-ie, and Outstanding Graduate Students.
- Troy Tollefson talks about comparative animal nutrition at the annual Halver Lecture The annual Halver Lecture in Comparative Nutrition was presented to a live audience on February 22, 2022. Students, faculty, and staff packed the Todd Hall auditorium to listen to nutritionist Dr. Troy Tollefson…
- Class of 2022 Congratulations to our Class of 2022 graduates!
- Kudos and Announcements Michael Phelps was a recipient of a 2021 New Innovator in Food & Agriculture Research Award from the Foundation for Food & Agriculture Research (FFAR).